Fish Kuzhambu/ Chettinad Fish Curry / Meen Kuzhambu
Hi dear! Today, I’m going to prepare my favorite dish, Chettinad fish curry. Basically, I am a fish lover. Besides chicken and lamb, I also like to eat curry rice with hot rice and idlis. You will Get the real Chettinad flavor and aroma recipe from it. You can use any fish you like… The seasoned fish I used today works well. You can’t believe me after you try. Hope you like it.
If you try it at home, please let me know your feedback.
Gingelly oil-1 tbsp
shallots-1 cup or 200 grm
garlic pods-7 to 8
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
cumin powder-1 tsp
coriander powder-2 tbsp
kuzhambu milaga podi-1 tbsp (optional)
Red chili powder-1 to 11/2 tbsp(according to your spice level)
Grated coconut-1/2 cup
Gingelly oil -3 tbsp
cumin seeds-14 tsp
Curry leaves- a spring
Dry red chilies-2
Tamarind pulb- A big lemon size tamarind(soaked and squeezed)
Fish -11/2 kg (i used vaaval fish)
Asafoetida- a Pinch
Salt to taste.
1.Heat a tablespoon of Gingelly oil in a pot, then add chopped green onion and fry until translucent.
2. Add garlic pods and saute until fragrant.
3.Once the onion turns brown, add tomatoes and saute until mushy
4. Then add all the spice powder (turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili, kuzhambu podi) Mix well
5.Add the grated coconut and mix well. Once fried, let the mixture cool and make a fine paste.
6. Heat sesame oil in a pot. Add mustard, fenugreek and cumin seeds until it flies away.
7. Once cracked, add green onion, garlic, ginger, dried red pepper and curry leaves, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes
8. Add the grounded masala paste and stir fry for 2 to 5 minutes.
9. Add the tamarind pulp and the required amount of water for the gravy, and check with salt
10. Put the lid on and let it boil. Before closing the lid, add a little asafoetida.
11. Let’s wait for a while until the curry starts to thicken.
12. Now add the fish cubes and stir gently.
13. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
14. After 7 minutes, open the lid and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
15.Serve with hot rice
16. Our delicious Chettinad Fish curry is ready
Enjoy the recipe with Video Tutorial!!!